Tuesday 5 April 2016

Rajma 'Massi wale'


Memories of my childhood are flooded with those sleeper class train journey's to Kotkapura, Punjab and the non stop fun I had with my cousins. We were together from morning to night playing, fighting, irritating each other and making the most of those few days of togetherness. It repeated every single year for a long part of my childhood and then we all grew up and went different directions. 
I have lovely memories of meal times as getting together for the family meant some special indulgence. My mamaji would always insist on dal-chawal-chokha (Dal, rice and mashed potatoes) made by my mother which was a real treat for all of us. Surprisingly, even though we are Sikh's, I remember both sides of my families relishing more on everyday vegetarian meals. No wonder I still love a simple vegetarian meal than a non-veg one. 
One such must dish during the holidays used to be my Massi's Rajma. My mom grew up with 2 sisters and 2 brothers and my Jinder Massi was the eldest of all. Jinder Massi, as I remember her from my childhood was always full of patience, love and understanding. She is such a warm hearted person who is full of understanding and love. I remember, she would deal with crisis with such composure. She as my cousin would call is Ma jaisi and therefore our Massi. 
This particular recipe is a little unconventional as she likes to use a little turmeric which is otherwise not used in Rajma recipes. The masala is also cooked in a different way where you will not require a grinder. Unlike some traditional recipes where Rajma is cooked and then added to the masala, here the Rajma is cooked in the masala so that it seeps into the beans. 
I simply love to pair my bowl of Rajma with boiled rice and the sweet tomato chutney from Bengal.


Recipe courtsey : My adorable Jinder Massi

Ingredients : For 2-3 servings
  • 1 cup rajma (red kidney beans), preferably Jammu variety (soaked overnight) 
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 5-6  whole cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 " ginger, grated
  • 2 tomatoes, grated
  • 2 tbsp refined oil
  • salt as required
  • 1 tsp garam masala 
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Procedure : 
Take a pressure cooker and put chopped onions, garlic cloves and grated ginger with a splash of little water. Close the lid and let it cook for 3-4 whistles.
Let the steam escape naturally. 
Open and mash them up with the back of a ladle.
Put it back on flame and let the water evaporate completely. 
Put oil in the pressure cooker and now cook the mixture till it separates oil (for about 8-10 minutes) on medium flame. 
Add grated tomatoes and let it cook for 5 more minutes. 
Add turmeric powder and salt and cook for 2 minutes.
Now add the drained Rajma and cook it for another 5 minutes. Stir in garam masala. 
Add 3 cups of water and close the lid. 
Let it cook on high flame for 2 whistles and then reduce the flame to low and cook for another 20-25 minutes. 
Let steam escape naturally. 
Remove the lid and adjust salt.
If gravy is too thin, put it back on flame and reduce to your requirement. 
Garnish with coriander leaves. 
Pair it with roti/parantha or rice.



Happy Rajma relishing
Amrita

16 comments:

  1. the cooking part is very unique. My younger brother cooks his spices in a similar manner whenever we request him for some restaurant style gravy. will try this out. looks absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your's childhood story along with this super tempting dish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Hello. Long time. Hope you have been good. Do please try and let me know. 😊

      Delete
  4. Wow... Looks delicious. I will definitely give it a try ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thsnk you. Do try and let me know how it turned out.

      Delete
  5. Great ! Looks yummy & yes, a different way of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. will definitely try this soon.
    tell me one thing first step is to just cook onions n ginger garlic in pressure cooker...won't it get burnt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put onion ginger garlic with a splash of water(litte bit) and then close the lid and cook for 3-4 whistles. It will not get burnt. The onion in fact will release more water. Do try and let me know.

      Delete
  7. I will try this recipe.. I have a stack of rajma waiting for me at home :)
    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amrita, I tried your Massi wale rajma yesterday and it came out so well. Thanks for the recipe , best wishes, Tanusree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, am so so glad to hear that. Thank you for the feedback.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...