Sunday 16 September 2012

The Ultimate Chocolate Cream Cheese Cookies



Time of the month to whip up a recipe for the Baking Partners. It is a group of amazing home-bakers who help each other to learn and perfect their baking skills. Every month we bake a recipe chosen by one member and thus understand and learn more about the fineries of baking.

 I had to be a part of this extra amazing baking group as I am a complete baking maniac ! This is my first participation, having recently joined this group. This month we had to bake cookies and got not one but three wonderful recipes by three members. It was upto us to bake all three or choose one. Due to my time constraints, I had a real difficult time choosing one. I am in the middle of managing time between handling my adorable 15 month old daughter, shifting my entire household to a new place and handling the disrupted internet connection due to the non-stop rains in my beautiful city, Kolkata !!



Now I must confess that I am a complete desert freak. And when you mix my desert passion with the ethereal chocolate, the result is me straight jumping to it.
When I read the three equally amazing cookie recipes, I could not help but choose the ‘pick-me-screaming’ Chocolate Cream cheese Cookies ! This recipe was proposed by an incredible blogger Tina of Pinays Cooking Corner 

The first thing that came into my mind after having these cookies was ‘Is it a cake’ or ‘Is it a cookie’? just like the famous line from Superman !
The cookie has a surprisingly beautiful cake texture that just melts in your mouth and keeps you doing ‘Ummmmm’ for a long time. The chocolate chips add to the chocolateness and makes them equivalent to a ‘Death by chocolate cookies’. Needless to mention that I tucked in quite a few just experimenting with them !!

My first batch expanded and spread and became a bed of cookies (not that it hampered the taste in any way). I loved the extra crunch it got because of being too thin.


I carefully put the second batch which came out quite decent. But have to confess that the rest of my batches were perfect(I made 4 batches of 6 cookies each by halving the recipe)


So without further ado here is the recipe adapted from Matt Lewis and  Renato Poliafito


Ingredients:I have halved the recipe
  •    1 cup(128g) all purpose flour
  •    2 ½ tbsp (16g) cocoa powder
  •    1 tsp (4g) baking soda
  •    A pinch of salt
  •    1 stick(113g) unsalted butter, softened slightly
  •    2 oz. (56g) cream cheese at room temperature
  •    ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
  •    ¼ cup (55g) dark brown sugar
  •    1 large egg
  •    1 tbsp heavy cream
  •    ½ tsp vanilla extract
  •    1 ½ oz. (42g) bittersweet chocolate, melted     and cooled
  •    4 oz. (112g) of semi sweet chocolate chips


Procedure:
In a medium bowl, sift the flour with cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
In another bowl combine the butter, cream cheese, granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Beat in eggs, heavy cream and vanilla until blended.
At low speed, beat in the dry ingredients.
Add the melted chocolate and chocolate chips and beat until incorporated.
Cover the bowl and refrigerate the dough for at least 15 minutes or upto 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease the baking tray.
Scoop heaping tablespoons of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them two inches apart. Bake for 12-15 mins until the cookies are just set. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.



I enjoyed my batch of cookies with a big glass of cold coffee..super perfect combination.


With the coming festive season, these cookies can be an amazing gift which will be surely loved and appreciated. 
A sure shot favorite for my family and aptly named 'Ultimate Chocolate Cream cheese Cookies'!! 


Happy Cookie-eating
Amrita

25 comments:

  1. Chocolaty and divine cookies,looks so yummy
    Happy to know you through baking partners:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suja, thanks for liking these truly divine cookies:) Happy to know you too and love your space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolaty and yummy cookies... U have a nice space. Happy to follow.. do join me when u find time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vimitha, thanks for liking my baby blog!! Loved your space too and so happy to know you!!

      Delete
  4. Yes these are delicious and addictive cookies, love it. Amrita, These chocolate lovers ultimate dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Swathi, you named them right..any chocolate lovers 'dream come true' cookies!!

      Delete
  5. These sound very delicious, Swathi! Love the idea of cream cheese and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I got your name wrong, sorry I meant to say Amrita.. I was also just looking at Swathi's cookies and got your blogs confused. My apologies!

      Delete
    2. No worries Mich..guess you saw too many cookies!!! :):) Thanks for liking and yes they are really delicious!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous cookies! Nice job!
    I'm glad you tried the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, so you are the reason I tucked in so many of those brilliant cookies. Thanks for sharing an amazing recipe.

      Delete
  7. Perfect and neat looking cookies, delicious clicks.. I am your new follower, do follow me

    Priya
    Special K Cookies



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priya, thanks for liking my cookies and the space.

      Delete
  8. Hi Amrita, your cream cheese cookies look so addictive. Yum, yum, very chocolatey. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Amelia, love your space and am your new follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amrita, your chocolate cream cheese cookies are absolutely delicious. You made it perfectly dear. Glad to meet you through Baking Partner. Thanks for visiting my space and leaving such nice words for my oreo cookies. Do visit my space if you like it. BTW, happy to know that you are from Kolkata, basically I am also from Kolkata, presently in US :)

    Today's recipe:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.com/2012/09/kondai-kadalai-sundal-black-chana.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow great to know that you are from kolkata too. Thanks for liking my cookies.

      Delete
  11. Hi Amrita, Lovely cookies! This is just perfect for breakfast or for snacking anytime of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amrita, first time here, you are having such a lovely space, happy to follow you, when u get time visit mine...
    cookies looks superb yumm... tempting cookies...

    Today's Post: Vinayagar Chathurthi Snaps and Paintings
    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi amrita, when you mention is it a cookie or a cake reminds me of whoppie pies that some of us recently baked. But cream cheese in cookies really sounds tempting and i'm sure these cookies will be fast gone!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...