Friday 21 September 2012

Besan ke Gatte (Chickpea flour dumplings in gravy)


A look at my September posts and I realized that all I have been doing is baking !! I have baked so extensively that I had to literally force myself to switch off my oven and turn to 'No-bake' dishes. 
I decided to try this very famous dish from Rajasthan, a beautiful state located in the northwest of India which is known for its amazing, colourful and spicy cuisine. 
This dish has two components- the 'Gatte' which are Chickpea flour steamed dumplings and the 'Gravy' which is curd based.



Ingredients:

     For Gatte-
  • 2 cups besan /chickpea flour                  
  • ½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
  • ½ tsp saunf/fennel seeds
  • ½ tsp namak/salt
  • ½ tsp lal mirch/red chilli powder
  • 4 laung/cloves
  • 4 kali mirch/black peppercorn
  • 3 tbsp oil

     For Gravy-
  • 1 cup curd
  • 2 onions
  • 4-5 garlic cloves
  • 1’’ ginger
  • 2 green chillies
  • ½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
  • ½ tsp lal mirch/red chili powder
  • ½ tsp haldi/turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp dhaniya/coriander powder
  • 1 tsp namak/salt
  • ¼ tsp garam masala powder
  • 2 tbsp oil





Procedure:

For Gatte:

Boil 4 cups of water in a deep pan.

Take a bowl and mix besan, jeera, saunf, salt, red chilli powder and oil. Add crushed cloves and black peppercorns. Now add little water to make a stiff dough. Make cylinder shapes 3-4’’ long with this dough and put in boiling water for 15 mins. Take them out and cut in small circular pieces. Retain the water.


For Gravy:

Make a fine paste of onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies. Beat curd with a whisk and keep aside.

Take oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. As it browns add the paste made. Let it brown and then add red chilli, turmeric and coriander powder. Add salt and garam masala. Now add curd and stir continuously till it gets a boil. Add the gatte pieces and the water retained from boiling them. Cook for 5 mins.

Garnish with fresh chopped coriander and serve with hot chapatis.


This was my first attempt at trying this very traditional dish and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed. 
The 'icing on the cake' was Vishal (my husband) calling up from his office and asking me what I gave him for lunch. He had never heard of the dish and really enjoyed his lunch which was different from all the mundane dishes I make for him!!
Needless to mention the baker (oops) cook inside me was really satisfied !!



Happy Cooking
Amrita

9 comments:

  1. Gatte Ka saag is one of my favs and makes it to my "ultimate comfort food" list! Your saag looks great. M drooling just by looking at the clicks. Glad to know Vishal loved it too. This shows that you truly are a great cook :D
    Have a fab weekend!
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anuja. Its always delightful when hubby dear loves what you cook ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Amrita, the best feeling is when our loved ones compliment our cooking/baking, right? I am always happy when my kids enjoy the things I make for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So right Yen, after all food is made to be enjoyed!!

      Delete
  3. looks tempting & delicious...mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amrita, lovely presentation and this is a very healthy dish. Yum yum

    Have a nice week ahead, regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, glad you liked. Thanks for stopping by..love to follow you.

      Delete
  5. This looks beautifully done. I would be so happy too if my hubby is pleased with my cooking. I have never come across chickpea flour before (its not common locally), and if I ever do, I'd be sure to make this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...