It was time of the year to bake a cake again and I jumped on the opportunity to try my hands on some techniques I have never tried before. It was my dear Husband's birthday on the 27th of this month and more than us, our daughter Vaanya was super excited about the celebration. The cake was attempted keeping Vaanya and her fetish with pink in mind. And boy, how elated she was to look at it.
I had seen a similar image of a cake on Pinterest one day and had decided to attempt it. With the D day nearing, I pushed myself out of a lazy slumber and bought the necessary equipments and ingredients. The cakes were baked a night before and while they got baked in batches, I made the icing. The cakes were cooled, stacked with the icing in between and given a crumb coat. Next morning, I gave all the finishing touches to the cake while my daughter was away at school. The cake was dressed up in a pink drip and adorned with buttercream flowers. I knew Vaanya was going to love all the pinkness.
The day was spent in a long drive to the highway and once we came back home in the evening, Vaanya was eager to have the cake cut. The day came to an end with the cake cutting, eating cheer and laughter. May God bless us with such beautiful moments forever.
Chocolate Mud cake
Recipe source : Cocawind
My notes :
- I halved the recipe and then pour the batter in two 6" round pans.
- Baked them at 180 degree Celsius for 20-25 mins.
- Made other half of the recipe and repeated to yield four 6" round cakes.
- Trim tops so that all are equal.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream icing (SMBC)
Recipe source : Here
My notes :
- I followed the recipe to the T
- Separated 3/4 of the icing and kept separate for frosting the cake.
- Added pink food colour till I achieved the desired colour and frosted each cake layer with it.
- Once all the layers were stacked, I frosted the outside and refrigerated to set. I kept mine overnight. You may keep for 3-4 hrs.
- With a glass of hot water and an offset spatula, give the cake a final frosting finish. Every time dip in the hot water, wipe your spatula and try and give a neat finish to the frosting.
Pink Drip :
Take equal quantity of white chocolate and cream. Heat cream and add chopped white chocolate to it. Stir it well. Add little milk to make it a little runny. Add pink food colour.
Take spoonfuls of the drip and pour on the edge of the frosted cake, all around. Now fill the top of the cake with the drip too. Refrigerate.
Buttercream flowers :
To the rest of the SMBC icing, divide into 4. Colour pink to one part, purple to another, green to the third and leave the 4th as it is.
Pipe pink icing to a piping bag with a Rose petal nozzle and pipe flowers over a piece of butter paper and over a flower nail. Once done, transfer the piece of butter paper to a flat plate and refrigerate.
Repeat same with purple flower.
Pipe some of the icing(not coloured) over the top of the cake, half an inch behind from the outer diameter.
Peel the flowers from the butter paper and put on the cake. Arrange it the way you want.
Pipe the leaves with a leaf nozzle.