Tuesday 11 September 2012

Everyday Yoghurt Cake


Recently I discovered a whole new world of food blog events. These events are basically a perfect platform to know fellow bloggers and share recipes and thus food passion. These events gives us an opportunity to visit each other and have fun while creating and sharing. 
One of these amazing events is Bake-Along which is a bi-monthly event hosted by three incredible bloggers - Joyce from Kitchen flavours, Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake for Happy kids.
It is and amazing Blog-hop event which has no rules, no commitments nor any member list. (No-You have to like my page on Facebook kind of things ;)lol)
You are free to join whenever you want. Each of the host has a list of upcoming recipe or theme which helps you to prepare beforehand and lets you decide whether you want to join or not. (Though with their amazing list of recipes and themes, I am sure you will want to everytime)

This is my first entry and a beginning to one seriously no-fuss event. Let me confess that when I read the recipe I wasn't sure how it will turn out. I have tried a yogurt cake before(Orange Yoghurt cake) and was extremely happy with the soft texture of the cake and its light orange flavour. What I particularly love is the low calorie in this cake and thus it being guilt-free. With this recipe I was a bit worried with the flavour and was almost tempted to add some lemon rind and juice. However, I followed the recipe to the T and was extremely overjoyed with the result. My cake was well risen, very soft and above all enjoyed by everyone.
I decided on doing a lacy decoration with icing sugar on the cake with the help of a paper doily as suggested by the baker. The problem was I didn't have  a paper doily, so I made a very lame paper doily by hand (cutting odd shapes on a folded piece of paper) and dusted the top of cake with icing/confectioner's sugar. Have to confess that however kiddish my paper doily was, I was happy to see the pristine white icing sugar on the browned cake top. Next time I must try one of my hand-made crochet doily for better results!!


Recipe adapted from here

Ingredients: I have halved the recipe
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar(powdered)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • a pinch of baking soda
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup  plain whole-milk yogurt or low-fat yogurt
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Procedure:
Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius. Grease and line bottom and sides of a 9" round pan.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. 
Whisk together yogurt, oil, egg and vanilla in another bowl.
Pour the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture and stir well.
Pour the batter in prepared pan and bake for 30 mins or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. 
Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 mins, invert onto a wire rack and turn right side up to cool completely.
Place a paper doily (I made my own by simply cutting random shapes on a folded piece of paper) on top of the cake and dust with icing sugar(or powdered sugar) to create a lacy decoration.
Slice the cake and serve with sliced seasonal fruits and yogurt.
Can be stored in room temperature for upto 2 days in a cakekeeper or in a plastic wrap.



Happy Healthy Yogurt-cake Eating
Amrita

26 comments:

  1. beautiful sugar work girl. Keep it up. Very inspiring. Also my first yoghourt cake collapsed and I didnt have the patience to try it again. You gave me a reason to do so.
    Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there dear, firstly thanks for my lame attempt. And do try a yogurt cake as it is super easy and soft textured. Would love to see your attempt soon :):)

      Delete
  2. I love how you did yours up with confectionary sugar, its so pretty, perfect with a cup of English tea :) Texture looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich, glad my childish attempt at the paper doily has paid off well! And yes ,you are right a light cake with good English tea...perfect combination!

      Delete
  3. hi amrita, very nice to know you and thank you so much on the words on our event! yes, no commitment, just join as and when you like! i'm happy to read that your family enjoyed eating this cake a lot and you're clever to make a doily by paper, i dont think i know how to fold and cut that designs out! thanks again for baking along with us and hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena, I am so glad myself to know all you wonderful bloggers and Bakers through this fun blog-hop. Thanks for liking my silly paper doily:):) I am sure anybody can do that and much better!! Looking forward to join you guys soon with cream puffs!!:):)

      Delete
  4. Hi Amrita,
    Thank you for your first baking along with us! Nice to have you joining our Bake-Along. Your cake looks great and you did a lovely job with the decoration on top, very pretty! Glad to know that this cake was a hit with your family, I enjoyed it too, with a cup of black coffee, perfect for an afternoon snack!
    Thanks again for joining us, and hope to see you in our future Bake-Alongs! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am so glad to join all you wonderful Bakers. Thanks for liking my attempt. So looking forward to join you with upcoming Bake-Alongs !

      Delete
  5. Awesome sugar work! :) Almost like a little rangoli on top of the cake :) Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hetal and you are so right its like our rangoli on the cake !! Had fun creating it .

      Delete
  6. Hello Amrita,
    Great to be baking with you on this cake! Love the stencilled top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. Had loads of fun sharing this cake with all of you. Thanks for liking the stencilling.

      Delete
  7. Hi Amrita,

    Your cake looks very pretty with laced icing sugar design on top.

    very happy to have you baking/cooking along with me again. We started bake-along more than a year ago and I think that some of us are quite "hooked" on baking together :D Welcome to our baking "club" and I hope that you will find lots of fun and enjoyment baking with us :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, I am so happy to join all you wonderful Bloggers and Bakers !!

      Delete
  8. Hi Amrita,
    love your paper doily! Very inspiring!
    Yup these events are fun and,now that you are hooked, super addictive :D. I remember the first time I received my invitation from Zoe and suddenly it was like I m in a bakers' equivalent to a kiddie-play-club. and through these clubs I've found some amazing, ever-encouraging and super-supportive buddies. Welcome dear to our baking club!!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anuja, Thanks for liking my attempt. You are right I am addicted to these amazing events..thanks to you !! So glad to join all you awesome bakers.

      Delete
  9. Looks very festive! Lovely indeed and looks so fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie, so glad you liked this ultra simple and yummy cake. Loved your idea to use the bundt pan.

      Delete
  10. Wow so beautiful and superb design :):) :) Do visit my blog once you are free :) my blog is http://tangymind.blogspot.com Awaiting to hear it from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Achu, thanks a lot for liking my attempt. What I thought was silly, is so loved by all !! Loved your space and so happy to join you guys !

      Delete
  11. Hi amrita
    Ur cake looks wonderful!! also i liked the kolam-like icing in sugar! Profile pic looks great too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the very kind words Arthy, really appreciate.

      Delete
  12. my first visit here - I am part of Baking Partners also - you have an amazing selection of recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mireille ,I wonder how we missed each other. Happy to know you.

      Delete
  13. When I was a child , I remember my mother making this cake often ! A simple but fantastic cake, which brings unique memories !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, glad to help you remember good memories.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...