Tuesday 2 August 2016

Aloo Dum- low calorie version


When I was a school going kid, my tiffin was regularly hauled by my friends. Usually my Mom would pack me Parantha's of all possible fillings. On other days my tiffin beamed of sabzi and plain Parantha and on those fortunate lucky days I carried my treasured tiffin of my Mom's absolute lipsmacking Aloo Dum. My friends would finish it off even before the lunch bell rang, hiding beneath the desks and sneaking it while the teacher explained some boring subject on the blackboard. Yes, that was the magic of tiffin time that we all still cherish. 
I, on the other hand, loved my friends Puri sabzi and that addictive unstoppable fried goodness called Bhujiya. I just loved it so much. I was happy to trade my tiffin with their box of goodness. 
Whenever my friends came home, their was only one collective demand 'Aloo Dum'. My mom loved to plate it with generous dollops of tamarind chutney and some chopped fresh coriander leaves. She would put a toothpick on each making it easier for us to pick our's and relish it. 
With Kolkata Food Bloggers ongoing event on Street Food, I could think of nothing better than my Mom's Aloo Dum. Although now mommy makes a healthier version with the Airfryer so that the deep frying part is avoided. 
Make it and enjoy it as much as my friends always did. 


Ingredients : 
  • 500 gms baby potatoes, parboiled
  • 2 medium sized onions, chopped
  • 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
  • 1 medium sized tomato, chopped
  • 2 tbsp tomato puree
  • 1/2 cup curd
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 2 tsp garam masala
  • fresh coriander, chopped
  • green chillies, chopped
  • Tamarind chutney
Procedure : 
Peel potatoes and make holes with a fork in 3-4 places. 
Take a bowl and add salt to taste, a pinch of turmeric powder and little refined oil. Coat the potatoes in it. Put this in the Airfryer for 10 minutes at 200 degree. Remember to turn the potatoes after 5 minute mark.
(If you do not have the Air fryer, deep fry the potatoes)


Take 2 tbsp oil in a deep pan, add chopped onions. Cook for 2 minutes and then add ginger garlic paste (once onions start browning on the edges)
Cook for another 2 minutes or till the mixture leaves oil.
Add the chopped tomatoes and cook them till they are soft and mashed. Add the tomato puree and cook till the mixture leaves oil.
Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. 
Lower the flame and add the lightly beaten curd. 
Mix the potatoes.
Garnish with coriander leaves and green chillies and top with spoonfuls of tamarind chutney before serving.

This recipe is part of Kolkata Food Bloggers ongoing event Street Food Expedition where Moumita Ghosh is the featured blogger of the week who blogs from Peek'n'Cook



Happy healthy binging
Amrita

4 comments:

  1. who would not like a low cal recipe.. looks really good.
    I am back to blogging after a long gap and have moved to a new address.
    Do drop in when you can, my new space is runnergirlinthekitchen.cucumbertown.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, happy to hear from you after a long time. Shall check your site. Thanks for the appreciation.

      Delete
  2. The dish looks yummy.. I am really fond of aloo dum which we call as aloor dom. Congratulations for addition of a new appliance. Do you use OTG for baking?

    Regards
    Rajasree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rajasree. Aloo dum is an eternal fav with most of us. Thank you for the appreciation. Yes, I use an OTG for my baking.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...