Friday 22 July 2016

Homemade Coffee Liqueur


I love DIY- do it yourself. As a child, I remember spending time more over all sorts of crafts than anything else. It just satisfies my creative soul to another level. I have had phases of love affair with embroidery, artwork, crochet, tatting etc which continued well till my college life. My love for food started after marriage and I realized my old love for diy's in it too. Instead of buying steep ingredients from the shelves, I experimented with them at home in the form of diy.
Making Coffee liqueur at home was in the cards for a long long time and I just kept procrastinating it. Once a bottle of Vodka (which was esp bought for the liqueur making) got over just because I kept postponing the idea and my husband found his greedy eyes on it. So, after much contemplation another bottle was demanded from the culprit and this time I decided to hide it. It turned out that I was so good in putting it away that I myself forgot all about it. Kolkata Food Bloggers ongoing event Chef's challenge made me remember about it and thus finally I had my bottle of Homemade Coffee Liqueur. 
I found loads of ideas on Pinterest and ended up making a version myself with adjusted quantities. Making it is literally a breeze because it is essentially mixing all the ingredients. Keep it in a clean bottle and let it age for 2-3 weeks for better and enhanced flavouring. 
I used my liqueur in Nigella Lawson's sinful Coffee Pannacotta with boozy chocolate sauce. I have a list of other sinful desserts to be tried out with the coffee liqueur and will keep sharing them as well. Till then, make your homemade version of Coffee Liqueur and stock it. 



Ingredients : Makes 150 ml or around 3/4 cup 
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp instant coffee
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup vodka (I used White Mischief ultra pure Vodka)
Procedure : 
Heat water and sugar in a pan on medium flame. Allow the sugar to melt.
Stir in instant coffee.
Let this mixture simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
Add vodka and vanilla and mix.
Store in a clean glass bottle and let it mature for 2-3 weeks for the flavour to enhance. 
Use it in your cakes, brownies, tiramisu, puddings etc

Happy DIY Coffee liqueur
Amrita

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...