Monday 3 March 2014

Linzer Cookies


Time and again I get into this phase where I do not get the energy or enthusiasm to write on the blog. Do not get me wrong. I do not stop experimenting and clicking pictures of the food that we eat. It is just that, you feel stuck at times and want some time to get out of it and share again. I have several recipes waiting in my drafts that I really want to share, some experiments that went surprisingly well, some grandma recipes that I relish everyday and also some recipes that failed.
So here I am back again sharing a recipe that I tried as part of our monthly challenge at Baking partners. February is the month of romance and the perfect month to put your hands on some warm and fuzzy bakes. I, as usual, reduced the recipe to suit our little family of three. 
Linzer cookies are famous all around the world and are pretty easy to make. All you need to do is make the dough and cut out shapes and bake. It is then sandwiched with jam. 
Let me confess that I have never liked jam in my life. I mean, I am the kind who hates the widely loved butter and jam sandwich. Therefore I bought a small pouch of jam good enough to just sandwich these cookies. To my surprise Vaanya, my almost three year old daughter, loved it immensely. She kept licking the jam so very sweetly and I as a mother was so happy to see it. 


These cookies were a winner at my home. In fact, I had to hide one sandwiched cookie for Vishal, as Vaanya and me were very quick to finish them. Truly a perfect Valentine treat for 14th February which also happened to be our 4th Marriage Anniversary this year.


Recipe source : Swathi Iyer, Adapted from the book by Alice Medrich, Chewy, Gooey, Crispy, Crunchy


Ingredients : I reduced the recipe by ¼ to yield 4 sandwiched cookies.

  • ¼ cup All purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp ground almonds, blanched and powdered (see notes)
  • 3 tsp granulated sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1 tbsp butter, room temperature
  • A drop of almond extract(optional)
  • ¼ tsp grated lemon zest
  • Mixed fruit jam (or any other of your choice)
  • Icing sugar for dusting



Procedure:

Combine flour, ground almonds, sugar, salt, cinnamon powder, almond extract, lemon zest in a bowl.

Add butter and mix well till the mixture comes together as a ball. (If required, add little milk)

Flatten the dough ball and wrap it with clingfilm. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. You can even keep it upto 3 days. The dough can be freezed for 3 months.
Before rolling the cookies, allow the dough to come to room temperature. 

Preheat oven to 170 degree Celsius.

Take out the dough and roll it 1/8” thick.

Cut out 8 round shape with a cookie cutter. I used my 2” round cookie cutter.

You can use scraps and roll it again to cut shapes.

Cut out a heart shape in the middle of 4 round cut outs.

Line and grease a baking tray and place the cookie cut outs. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to firm up the cookies.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or till the cookies have browned well.

Allow to cool.

Spread a layer of jam on the round cookie and sandwich with the heart cut out. Sprinkle the icing sugar on top.


Notes
  • Blanch almonds by dropping them in boiling water for 5 minutes. Strain and dry them on a kitchen towel. Dry roast on a pan or in the oven till just about dry, for 3-4 minutes. Do not let them brown.  Then grind them to a powder along with a tsp of sugar. 
  • You can use any other shape of cookie cutter, though round is more traditional. 
  • Try with any other flavour of jam.
Happy cookie making
Amrita

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to say this ! Loved ur third click, more than ur cookie clicks :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That in itself is a very big compliment Sangeetha :)

      Delete
  2. You made linzer cookies very well vanya, looks really cute, glad she enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amrita, Vishal made Chicken Valentine for you and you reciprocated with linzer cookies with a heart in the center ! What a beautiful way to celebrate the month of love - February and also the month of your wedding anniversary. Vaanya looks a little grown up, poised and sooooooo sweeeeet! Your cookies turned out so perfect and your pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Namita. You have words of gold and we look forward to your comments.

      Delete
  4. Awww... such a cutie pie! Love all the pix... and as usual... love LOVE the way you standardize the recipes for a smaller yield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarani. It is the need of a small family that makes me reduce the recipe. It also keeps a check on over indulgence :)

      Delete
  5. Delicious Linzer cookies, perfect preparation

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...