Thursday 4 October 2012

Shotglass Kebabs


Last month has been super hectic for me, shifting to a new place and settling in new surroundings. Things have been even more hectic and impossible for the blogger in me who has been trying her best to keep posting recipes. With a super supportive husband and an extra sweet daughter, I have been able to do what I love doing. 
These kebabs were made on one crazy day where I was all alone looking after Vaanya (On weekends and in evenings Vishal takes care of her to give me some time to myself). It took me the whole day doing bits of the recipe as and when I found time. I kept the pulses boiled and ready and when Vaanya took her afternoon nap, I jumped onto making them. Wonder where does sleep evade on such times! Normally I like to rest when she is sleeping. But not today. I had an interesting mission.

This recipe was supposed to be my last entry for an amazing event-Cook like a star Masterchef series where all I did was bake. I wanted to make a no bake recipe from the Masterchef India series, but time got the better of me as the event was over by the time I made them. 
Nevertheless, these vegetarian kebabs were a big hit at home. Served in little shot glasses these kebabs sounded and tasted like non-veg kebabs to my family. 


Ingredients: For kebabs (Yields 10 such kebabs)

  • 100 gm (1/3 cup) Rajma/Red kidney beans
  • 50 gm (1/3 cup) Chana dal/Split Bengal gram
  • 50 gm (a little less than 1/3 cup) Dhuli Moong dal/Split Green gram
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tbsp ginger-garlic-green chilly paste
  • 1 medium sized onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • ½ tsp black pepper powder
  • ½ tsp amchoor powder/dried mango powder
  • 1 tbsp refined flour
  • 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 cup sooji/semolina


Procedure:
Soak rajma overnight and soak chana dal for atleast 2 hours.
Put Rajma in a pressure cooker with 1 1/2 cup of water and salt to taste. Cook on  high flame till the first whistle blows, then reduce flame and cook for 20-25 mins.
Strain and keep aside to cool.
Now put chana dal and moong dal in the pressure cooker with salt and 2 cups of water. Cook till 3 whistles blow. Remove from heat and strain to cool.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add ginger garlic green chilly paste. As it begins to brown add chopped onions and sauté till they become transparent.
Mix cumin powder, kasuri methi, amchoor powder, red chilly powder and pepper powder. Mix well.
Mix the boiled pulses and cook till they are mashed well (If required mash with a masher). Cook till the mixture dries. Remove from heat and let it cool.
Heat oil in a pan to shallow fry the kebabs.
In a bowl, make a thick batter with refined flour and water. Mix semolina and breadcrumbs in a plate and keep aside.
Make cylindrical shaped kebabs with the pulse mixture.
Dip each first in the flour batter and then in the breadcrumb semolina mixture. Coat well on all sides.
Shallow fry each kebab till they get a nice golden colour.
Drain on absorbent paper.


Ingredients: For Cheese sauce
  • 50 ml fresh cream
  • 4 tbsp processed cheese, grated
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:
Heat cream in a pan, mix grated cheese, salt and pepper and cook till cheese melts and the sauce thickens.
Remove from flame and keep aside.


Ingredients: For Tomato chutney
  • 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • Salt to taste
  • ½ tsp red chilly powder
  • ½ tsp panchphoron (fenugreek seed/methidananigella seed/kalonjicumin seed/jeera, mustard seed/rai and fennel seed/saunf in equal parts)

Procedure:
Take oil in a pan and add panchphoron. As it splutters add the chopped tomatoes. When the tomatoes gets mashed and the juice reduces, add salt ,red chilly powder and sugar. Let it cook till it thickens. Check the chutney for sweetness and if required add some more sugar.



Assembly:
Spoon a tablespoon of the cheese sauce in a shot glass. Spoon some tomato chutney over it. Insert a toothpick in a kebab and place it on top of the sauces in the shot glass.



Sending this recipe to a super event Favorite recipes event-Vegetarian recipes

 Kids delight@Spice your life



Happy Eating
Amrita

18 comments:

  1. Healthy and yummy kabab,loved the presentation,so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amrita, this is very clever! It would be perfect for parties, canapes to start the evening. Nice presentation. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yen, I agree it will be a wonderful canape for a party. Simple and fun way to present.

      Delete
  3. Loved the presentation... Kebabs look so inviting... do visit my space when u find time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amrita, lovely presentation. I like this kebabs, it look so mouth watering. The cheese sauce look so good.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia , thanks for the lovely appreciation

      Delete
  5. Hi Amrita, I can see why your family loves it. I would love to have a few myself, looks delicious and the presentation is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amrita, this is my kind of kebabs. Hope you settled in new place. Yes shifting and settling is difficult. Thanks for sharing with Favorite recipes event: Vegetarian recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Swathi, happy to join in your events. Settling in a new place takes longer than we perceive..am going n a holiday to recharge my batteries.

      Delete
  8. I love the presentation. I always present my prawns cocktail like this.
    Your vegetarian version looks great.
    hope you are settled in your new place. With kids I know how taxing everything tends to be. Vanya seems like a sweet child. God bless! my younger one will be 2 in November :D. she's a complete "gunda" and poles apart from my 8 year old.
    Have my exams till 19th. Thats why m late in commenting. I love browsing through everyone's blog. Kinda stress-reliever for me :D
    xoxo
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anuja, always a pleasure to hear from you. Do exceedingly well in your exams..nail them all!!:D:D Best of luck.

      Delete
  9. oh wow!!! this is super cooll....shud definitley try it out next time we have a party or get-together. sure it wil be a hit. thanks for sharing, Amrutha. first time here, and happily following you...do visit my space as well...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...