Of the few things to love about Summers is the availabilty of the king of fruits-the Majestic Mango. I absolutely adore mangoes and have a little weak heart for the variety which is interestingly called 'Langda' or 'Langra'. The origin of the name is debateful but it is believed that since most of the names are derived from the places of origin, it too could be named after a certain place called so. But, whats in a name. Langda has a distinct taste and even though it has a green skin which might trick you into feeling its not ripe, it is one of the most sweetest mangoes.
Vaanya, my daughter, is a mango lover too. This season she has been wanting to eat the Langda over another sweet mango called Himsagar and has been relishing her Mango escapades with the oozing nectar and the consequent mess.
A very ripe Langda in my fridge made me kick my lazy self and turn it into an easy mango ice cream which has been in my list for a long time. This is one super simple recipe, very much like the easy strawberry one I made. It is best to make it a night before and let it set in the freezer overnight and then relish it in the day.
- 3-4 tbsp condensed milk (adjust depending on the sweetness of your mangoes)
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and pureed( I used Langda variety of Mango)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipped cream(see notes)
In a bowl, combine milkmaid, mango puree and milk.
Fold in the whipped cream and pour in a freeze proof tin.
Allow to set in the freezer for 5-6 hours. Best is to leave overnight.
Take out and beat the mixture and allow to set again in the freezer. Repeat this 4-5 times to break the ice crystals.
Scoop and serve.
- Take 1/4 cup of whipping cream and then whip it with a handheld beater till it gets thick and fluffy.
- In case, you do not have condensed milk, add powdered sugar to the mango puree.
- Remember, this is a soft set variety of ice cream and therefore will not be as firm.
Happy Mango relishing